Monday, May 11, 2009

School lunch and Joyce bread

I get some questions now and then about what school lunch is like. Also, remember Joyce? I mentioned awhile back about how she's always eating some kind of bread in my class. Well, here then, is a week's worth of lunch and Joyce bread. Enjoy.


The lunch line.

Monday
Sweet and sour (chicken?), random cooked vegetable, and eggplant. Doesn't look appetizing, but this is one of the better combinations. The sweet and sour chicken is usually heavily breaded and fried, but when compared to typical US takeout, it's actually solidly good. The eggplant is mushy MSG goodness. The greens? Pass.

Joyce bread: some kind of pre-packaged ham and cheese sandwich.


Tuesday
Ah, random balls, taro perhaps? Hard to tell, even with one in your mouth (that's what she said). The brownish stuff is curry chicken (cole's staple lunch choice), which is next to a celery pork mix. Eh.

Joyce bread: two, two tuna sandwhiches. tuna was a theme that week.
Wednesday
no lunch? Actually, I'm pretty sure that we got fed up that Wednesday and went to the nearby Shanghai South Station for lunch instead. If you are reading this and will be living on Baise Lu someday (first, really? are you sure? secondly, think it over...hard), the South Station will be your closest haven of edible food.

Joyce bread: different roll, but still the same tuna/corn/carrot filling.

now remember, Joyce is sneaking bites of this during class!

Thursday
Oh, finals chicken, why are you so good? A bit of history; during our finals last semester, we received actual chicken breasts (what no bits? no. bones? yes, this be china). and they were tender, and tasty, and amazing. From then on we dreamed of finals chicken. Occasionally we would be teased by finals chicken; we would see a few people with it, but by then it would be all gone, or they would bring it out after we had finished lunch (it would be for the next lunch period). Yet, on the rare rare lunch day, we would have finals chicken. This was such a day, and it was good. Try to ignore the clear tasteless soup and mushroom fiesta combo.


Joyce bread: more tuna, but on a different roll. the drink is chocolate soy milk. you would think that with all this bread that joyce would be a bit big, but she is a little Hong Kong girl.

Friday
One of the only things worth looking forward to. Cole is not a fan, but Friday soup is a bit hit with us foreign teachers. Like a sweet campbells tomato soup, with cabbage thrown in, Friday soup has a tangy zing with a ketchup bouquet. I like mine with a dollop of rice steeped within it. Next to that is the famous Shanghai pork dish that consists mostly of a thick layer of pure pork fat. Not bad, but I'm a bad Chinese person--I rip off the fat with my chopsticks. And, immediately adjacent to the pork is my favorite tofu dish. Basically spicy tofu. Oh, and some balls, what's a lunch without balls?


Joyce bread: not positive, but this is either filled with banana or pork. next to that is regular soy milk

And that's it for this post. Anyone up for a tuna sandwhich?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I just happened upon your blog and some others because I am teaching at SHSID next year. you don't seem thrilled with it and I was just wondering why. Any advise? Other than not going, as I have already committed :)

Amy

d-ah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
d-ah said...

Well, there are positive and not so positive aspects to it, but I would have definitely made the same decision to come here all over again. I actually love the kids here.

The school and teaching are what you make of it, just like Shanghai.

Basically, it depends on what you're looking for. Maybe my blog comes off as more pessimistic than I wanted, but most days teaching here are pretty fulfilling. The kids appreciate it if they know you care, and if you try hard.

Just be ready to roll with things (things meaning the variety of crazy situations that you'll encounter).

But really, it'll be worth coming; it's not like anything else.

d-ah said...

If you have questions, feel free to ask. I wish I had someone to fill me in on all the details before coming. Oh, and talk to conks too. She'll be here next year. Her blog is linked to mine.

(really, we're not all bitter; my wife and I were all set to stay before hong kong came along).