Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Introducing: Joyce

I haven't talked about Joyce that much yet, but from the very beginning, she has been...well ok, let's start from the beginning.

First class.
Me to class:"Tell me who you are, what are your hobbies, etc etc...."
Joyce: "I am Joyce, my hobby is kiss."
Me:"What?"
Joyce:"Kiss. Kiss." points to lips.
Me:"Um ok."

Next class.
Me to class:"So, ask me any questions you might have."
Joyce raises hand."How many muscle you have." She speaks slowly, usually with a slightly loopy smile, and emphasizes each word with a nod of her head.
Me: "Um..."

Another class.
Me to class: "Give me a verb, any verb."
Joyce shouts out: "Kiss, Kiss!"
Me: "Ok...give me any noun, any noun."
Joyce: "Teacher, teacher!"
Me: "Um."

But, after awhile, the "date teacher" and "phone number" requests went away (not to mention the 3-part love/drama/action story she and two of her friends [also my students in another English class] wrote about an unnamed teacher and a student), and now I hang out with her and the other students in that class before and in between classes. Every now and then, I even chat with Joyce in Cantonese, since she's from Hong Kong, but even in Cantonese, she speaks the same way, wide-eyed and like she might burst from smiling any second.

Besides Joyce, in that class there's Jenny, her silent and shy best friend, Andrew, who was Anny's boyfriend, and Leo who was another of Anny's friends.

All in all, that class is my closest-knit group. In this second semester though, half of the class has disappeared, some to higher level classes, and others to another country. But, at least I still have the English stylings of Joyce.

Use the word "peeked" in a sentence that shows you understand the meaning of the word. As recounted on cole's blog, Joyce's answer was "Bitch always peeked the person who dressing clothes."

I asked her in Cantonese why she used the word "Bitch" the next class, and she said she thought it was a normal word that she heard all of the time, like at the grocery store. Er, not exactly, I explained. Eventually, I figured out that the word she wanted was "pervert."

Today. Speech. What are some of the pros and cons about capital punishment?
As a pro, Joyce says, "A dog cannot teach to eat its own shit."
Me: "Um...."

No comments: