Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Joyce and bread

Every time I look at Joyce, whether to call on her, check homework, or if I just happen to be facing that direction, there is a 70% chance that she either has a piece of bread in her mouth, or has her mouth open and is just about to bite into a piece of bread. Each time I catch her, I would frown and point at her and she would freeze. At that point, depending on my mood, I either nod or shake my head. Usually I shake my head and she puts the food back into her bag, but sometimes I let her eat and she happily chomps away during the lesson.


Bread also doesn't just mean bread, although sliced bread is included, it's also all different types of buns and sandwiches.


One time, her friend in my other class, Judy, wrote in her notebook (as a journal entry) that Joyce stayed over her house for a weekend. "Joyce eat all of the food in my kitchen," Judy wrote. "My mother was surprised. Joyce is a very hungry girl."


I asked Joyce about it recently, and Joyce nodded with an affirmative "Hai!" (yes in Cantonese).

"In morning, I can eat three bread and still be hungry!"

She patted her stomach. "I have very strong stomach."

Then, she offered me a croissant.

No comments: